St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church

HomeContact InformationHistoryOnline MuseumTlingit Orthodox TextsThe 1894 ClubAbout OrthodoxyAdministration
Join the 1894 Club!

The bell-tower (on the ground behind the church) Dec 2010
The bell-tower (on the ground behind the church) Dec 2010
The bell-tower (on the ground behind the church) Dec 2010
The Church, without a bell-tower, dec 2010
The Church, without a bell-tower, dec 2010
The Church, without a bell-tower, dec 2010
The Dome, Dec 2010
The Dome, Dec 2010
The Dome, Dec 2010

We need your help!  In 1894, a diverse yet single-minded group of people joined together to build our Church. Native Alaskans, Serbian miners, a few Orthodox townspeople from other cultural heritages, and even some non-Orthodox Christians took up a call for the building of a Russian Orthodox Church in our young but energetic town.  The Church was named after St. Nicholas of Myra, the Wonderworker.  In the last century most other buildings of the Russian period have collapsed or been replaced, leaving St. Nicholas as not only the oldest continually-functioning Orthodox Church building in Southeast Alaska, but also one of the oldest standing structures from the Russian period in the state.  

Our historic building is now showing the signs of its more than 120 years of continuous use.  The foundations are insufficient, the bell-tower has been removed since 2007 to prevent its collapse, and historic artifacts such as the 122-year-old hand-stitched epitaphion are dangerously unprotected.  The Church was built in a unique octogan style with an original iconastasis, icon set, brasswork, and banners shipped from Russia.  We continue to use these in our worship.  Our Church responded to the needs of the native Tlingit people by providing an Orthodox church which conducted services in their language, and we currently have the only icons of Christ and St. Nicholas in the world which feature titles written in Tlinget.

Current renovation plans include repair and reguilding of the Church dome, initial design work on the restoration of the original Church rectory building, and site plans for a contemporary fire-suppression system. Additional work will be done as donations allow...your donation is sincerely appreciated and crucial to God's work in our midst in Juneau!  Donations can be ear-marked for “preservation” and sent to St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church, P.O. Box 20130, Juneau, Alaska 99802-0130.

 

1894 Club Members

With Grateful Thanks to:

Karen B. Nichols - Chevy Chase, MD

Ronald J. Brotzman, PC - Boulder, CO

Robert and Anna Csernica - Huntington, WV

Georgeanna Feltman - Seattle, WA

David T. Malmstrom - Juneau, AK

Stephen and Christina Christodulis - Turlock, CA

John Pavelchak - Hudson, PA

William J. Malleris - Naperville, IL

John Mark Lemmel and the Lemmel Family - Ketchikan, AK

Thomas and Mary Conroy - Denver, CO

  Powered by Orthodox Web Solutions Home Back Top